May 21, 2011

Finally!

Finally!  The day that I have been waiting for for over 8 months is almost here.  I can't believe its been that long! Today is my last full day here, because tomorrow I leave Rochester, and Monday I fly out to Chicago, then get bussed to Navy RTC.  I'm so excited to get this process started, but mostly excited to get it over with!   The last couple weeks have been quite an emotional whirlwind, it seems like there are too many goodbyes, and I haven't even made the most important (and hardest) one, saying goodbye to Ben.  I almost feel like I don't have enough left to get through that!  There is a quote that I saw on facebook about a week ago from an Eastman friend:

‎"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." -Carol Sobieski

This is exactly how I am feeling.  Family, friends, colleagues, students.  They were all so hard to say goodbye to!  I was a sobbing mess on my last day of work.  I didn't realize how much those people truly meant to me!

The last time I took on a crazy challenge like this was when I moved to Rochester to come to Eastman.  The only difference then is that I had Ben with me every step of the way.  This time, I'm truly on my own.  That's what I'm anxious about!  Not boot camp itself, but being able to do it on my own two feet without a shoulder to cry on when things get super hard.  

I'm sure I'll blink and the next thing I know it will be 8 weeks from now and I will be writing a blog about my experiences.  Everyone says it goes by fast, and I'll be especially busy because I'm going to be in the "900" division, which is the performing division...so I'll get to play my instrument (well not mine, but whatever hunk o' junk they give me to play LOL) and play for graduations and other ceremonies.  

So that's it!  I'm giving Ben full access to my blog and my twitter account in hopes that he will update it once in awhile while I'm away.  I'm deactivating my facebook for now, but keep checking back here and on twitter.  Oh and please don't email me!  I'm anticipating a large amount of emails when I get back and I'm just going to delete all of them, because there is no way that I'm going to sort through all of that madness.  So if you need something, email me in August!  

I hope to come out of this experience and better and more awesome me.  And I think know I will.  

Catch you on the flipside!

1 comment:

  1. Hi - I'm Mike from your street team on Runkeeper. I followed your twitter link on Runkeeper and ended up here.

    Good luck with the Navy. I have always supported anyone that took the time out of their lives to join the services in support of our country. While playing in a Navy band may not be the same as being on the pointy tip of the spear, you're still sacrificing for our country. So thank you for that.

    Regarding Rochester - I saw in one of your earlier posts that you & Ben were not too thrilled living here. I understand, that for young people, Rochester may not be the greatest place in the world. At times it seem like there is nothing to do here. And, at times, I'd agree with you.

    Now, on the other hand, Rochester (and Upstate NY) are a wonderful place to raise a family. It's a very stable area, excellent education for our kids with a huge range of activities that families & children can do. We are withing 6 hours driving distance (or a 1 hour flight) to NYC, Washington, Baltimore, Boston, Toronto. There are very, very few places in the US that can offer you so many places to go in such short time.

    As with anything, where you live is what you make of it. If you don't learn to fully embrace everything your environment has to offer, you have no one to blame but yourself.

    So, in closing, congratulations & thank you for your service. And if you happen to come back to Rochester again, we'll always welcome you with open arms.

    ReplyDelete